Everything that passes from your home into the plumbing system goes through drains. Your drainage system is extremely important. Slow or clogged drains can cause costly problems such as water overflow and flooding as well as pipe damage. A clog can ultimately block water flow and cause enough pressure to rupture the pipe. Drain cleaning helps maintain your plumbing, but how frequently must it be done? Knowing how important regular drain cleaning is, here you can gain insights into how often to do it.
SIGNS YOU MAY NEED PROFESSIONAL DRAIN CLEANING
Some homeowners take the approach of scheduling drain cleaning. It is also important to recognize when your drains need to be cleaned. Some signs to look for include:
- Slow drainage: Debris and waste build up over time, not suddenly. As debris accumulates, a blockage grows and restricts flow, most often affecting sinks and fixtures in the kitchen or bathroom. Common culprits are most often to blame. These include food scraps, grease, soap, dirt, and hair.
- Bad odors/smells: Kitchen sinks and drains are most prone to being smelly. Pieces of food can get stuck in drains and start to stink. Food items can start to rot. Bacteria and mold can grow just beneath in the drain pipe, so your home starts to smell musty and otherwise unpleasant.
- The age of your home: Older homes with older pipes and plumbing systems are more likely to experience drainage Outdated pipes and gutters tend to be narrower than newer ones and may have been collecting debris for years. Tree roots have also had more time to encroach on underground pipe, penetrate deteriorating metal, and block a plumbing or sewer line.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD DRAINS BE CLEANED?
This varies on a case-by-case basis and the condition of your plumbing system. Cleaning your drains monthly reduces the chances of a plumbing emergency. You can use homemade solutions instead of consulting a professional, using warm water and vinegar or baking soda. A plumber should clean your drains annually, or every 1 to 2 years, to boost efficiency and improve the lifespan of the system, but you may need more frequent service for older systems or for basement/sewer drains.
Cleaning your drains regularly can prevent a major clog or pipe blockage. Regular maintenance is effective for ensuring the efficiency of any residential or commercial plumbing system.
HOW TO PREVENT CLOGGED DRAINS
No matter how frequently you use your drains, you can prevent clogs. To avoid problems in your house, follow these simple preventative tips:
- Avoid washing your hair down the sink drain.
- Discard food scraps and uneaten food in the garbage.
- Don’t wash food, grease, or coffee grounds down the sink.
- Seal liquid grease in a container; throw it in the trash after it cools.
- Install a drain filter or grate, which can protect kitchen and bathroom drains.
- Don’t flush anything other than human waste or toilet paper.
Also, schedule regular drain cleaning to reduce the risk of problems, or if you notice changes in the speed of your drains, foul odors, or the system hasn’t been checked in a while.
CONTACT THE AC HERO
The AC Hero is open during the coronavirus pandemic, adhering to social distancing guidelines, and providing residential, commercial, and emergency plumbing services in North Richland Hills, Texas. Our company serves the entire Dallas/Fort Worth area. Whether you need drain cleaning or to unclog a drain, we’ll send an experienced, certified technician to your home. To schedule drain cleaning services, call us today at (817) 631-2507